LASIK eye surgery is a quick and safe procedure that is potentially life-changing. Our expert surgeons will ensure that you are in safe hands along every step of the process.
There are two important steps to every LASIK procedure:
- Step One, your doctor uses a microkeratome or laser to create a micro-thin flap of tissue on the epithelium (the outermost) layer of your eye.
- Step Two, your doctor lifts the flap so that an excimer laser can treat the stroma (inner part of the cornea) to correct your refractive error. Once the laser completes the treatment, the surgeon will smooth the flap back on your cornea. This does not require stitches. The flap easily ‘locks’ back in the original position and healing begins rapidly. As this tissue is preserved, postoperative recovery is quick and there is minimal discomfort. You will be able to resume normal activities within 1-2 days.
Our LASIK surgeons will use either the Bausch and Lomb (B&L) Hansatome zero-compression microkeratome or the AMO IntraLase Femtosecond laser to create the flap.
- The microkeratome creates precise and accurate flaps using a surgical instrument (blade).
- The IntraLase laser creates corneal flaps using pulses of laser light.
HOW THE INTRALASE WORKS
IntraLase technology creates a flap to the exact specifications of your eye without ever cutting it. This is how it is achieved:
- Microscopic bubbles are created from ultra-fast pulses of laser light at a precise depth that is planned pre-surgically by your doctor.
- The laser will move back and forth in a uniform plane generating bubbles just below your corneal surface.
- The flap edges are then created when the bubbles stack around the corneal diameter. The angle of the flap edges is individualized to your exact eye shape.
• From start to finish, the process takes less than 30 seconds– it is a safe, comfortable and quiet procedure.
- Your surgeon then gently lifts the flap to start the second step of the procedure.
- When treatment is complete, the flap is easily placed back into its original position.
Fraser Valley Cataract and Laser is committed to providing you safe and comfortable surgery with exceptional vision outcomes.
To determine if you are a candidate for LASIK surgery, contact us to set up a FREE PRE-LASIK exam.